Foreign nationals, who were legally staying in Iceland prior to 20 March and have been unable to return to their home countries due to travel restrictions, quarantine or isolation, are currently allowed to stay in Iceland without a residence permit or visa until 10 September 2020, see here.
Foreign nationals, who will not be able to leave Iceland before 10 September 2020, can stay here until 10 November 2020, without a residence permit or visa, upon being registered at the Directorate of Immigration.
Please note that this option is only for individuals who cannot leave Iceland due to travel restrictions, quarantine or isolation. Reasons such as no direct flights to your home country, high travel costs or other inconveniences of travelling are not grounds for being allowed to stay in Iceland without a residence permit or visa.
This is how you register
- The following information/documents shall be included/attached:
- Photocopy of your passport.
- Photocopy of your visa (if applicable).
- A proof of entry into Iceland prior to 20 March 2020. For instance, a photocopy of all Schengen Exit/Entry stamps found in your passport.
- The reason why you are unable to travel back to your home country by 10 September.
- Please send the registration request prior to 10 September 2020.
Last updated 4 September 2020.